Saturday, September 26, 2026

Maughan Surprised by Shepard Candidacy

Indignant at the entry of Mark "Shep" Shepard into the Mayoral race, incumbent Charles Maughan insisted he has bent over backwards to further the City Manager's agenda.  "Look, I don't know why he feels like he has to jump in like that.  I just can't imagine why he's not satisfied with my performance.  I've always backed him in every way possible."

"When he tried that power-grab-slash-character-assassination against one of the City Councilors, I was there for him.  I took real risks.  We were violating the Constitution.  We could have gone to jail.  That's loyalty."  The Mayor looked bemused for a moment.  "At the very least he could have lost his job, but I made sure he didn't.  I'm still not sure how we pulled that one off." 

"And what about the Shepard-Maughan Civic Campus?" he continued.  "Spending tens of millions on new buildings during a budget crises isn't popular with the voters, to put is mildly, but we found a way to borrow the money without putting it on the ballot.  Sure, I wasn't clever enough to come up with that, but I support it, OK?  Can't he see that?"

The Mayor momentarily brightened.  "He promised me I could have a corner office.  Almost as big as his!"  Then his face fell.  "If only I can get him to like me again.  I hope the new flyers help."